Today we will tell you what kinds of slang exist, who should study it, and who does not need to load themselves with additional work. And for those who decided to study fashionable expressions, we will give some tips to help you master it.
What Kinds Exist?
Here we are talking about ordinary abbreviations for words that are typical for all who want to express their thoughts as quickly as possible and tackle more important matters. In most cases, words from this category are known and do not cause special inconveniences even to those who do not know them, as their sense can be guessed intuitively.
- Youth expressions
We are talking about all words of informal speech. Expressions are quite simple, they can easily be used in conversation. An exception is a formal situation: business negotiations, conferences, interviews, etc. However, even these ones should be treated very cautiously: they can simultaneously have the opposite meaning. When examining expressions, we recommend looking at all its meanings in the dictionary and conclude whether to use this word.
- Abusive language
How to get rid of English-speaking friends? No problem: you just have to use a few rude words in a speech and it is unlikely that someone will want to renew communication with a boor like you. We will not give examples: the Internet teems with all sorts of "directories for those who like to quarrel". But if you really want to say a bad word, we recommend softening it a little.
Do not think that we forgot about the first point and repeat. Here we are talking about other words. Those that are used for correspondence are also called slang. It is convenient, it saves money and time. And it looks quite funny, so you can experiment: to learn the basic reductions with friends and use them. Be sure, all your secrets will remain with you: not many will be able to understand what your conversation is about.
Slang is not an easy thing, it is constantly changing, new expressions are emerging, and old ones are dying off as unnecessary. In addition, popular expressions vary depending on the region. However, of course, there are some common words that are included in special dictionaries and which everyone can learn.
Who Needs This?
- Those who are going to move to permanent residence in an English-speaking country. In this case, you can cope with the task with the help of lessons with a native speaker. He or she will tell you what vocabulary to use, which one should be avoided.
- Those who want to communicate with foreigners in an informal way. You do not need to use these words, you must at least comprehend them if they are present in the speech of your interlocutor.
- Those who want to study abroad. It is the language of youth. You should know the base to communicate with your peers. Be sure, in any case, during your studies, you will learn many interesting expressions.
- Those who like shows, books and songs in English. Many authors are building almost their entire "masterpiece" on slang without restraint. If you do not want to remain ignorant and fall out of reality, you will need to familiarize yourself with the relevant vocabulary.
- Those who are going to take the exam. You do not need to use slang words, but perhaps when listening to texts or reading you will encounter such words, so it is better to the most frequently used expressions to be fully armed.
- Those who wish to develop diversely. Any language is a rather complex structure, consisting of a formal and informal part. Slang is a required attribute of any language. Do not think that "street" expressions are necessarily abusive words. It can be quite decent expressions. Slang is the most "delicious" in the tongue, it allows you to understand the culture and features of people's thinking.
This is what you need to know, but what is not necessary to use.
Who Does Not Need This?
- Children. Yes, they can and will be interested to learn this. However, note that many slang words are indecent, and it is bad for children.
- Beginners. If you have just started to learn English, you do not need to stuff your head with youthful words. Learn what your professor advises you: you can do without slang, but you cannot do without basic words.
- People, who prepare for an interview. This is a very important occupation, which requires maximum concentration, so definitely you will not have a desire to learn "street" vocabulary.
- Those who study business English. You do not need to know slang and it is even harmful: in a stressful situation, you can accidentally use an inappropriate expression.
- Those who study English for travel. You just need to know some main words, with which you will talk with local residents. Native speakers will not torment a foreigner with slang words. And besides, do not forget that it can be different in various places.
How to Learn It?
If you find yourself in the category of people who need to learn slang expressions, you need to act. We want to give some practical pieces of advice on how to deal with the "language of the street" correctly and quickly.
- Use an actual guide
First of all, you need to find the reference material which you will take expressions from to study slang words. It is better if it is an online directory: there, information is updated fastest.
- Use the correct methods of learning and repeating words
To keep in memory any word, you need to find the best way to learn it. Then do not forget to repeat the received knowledge.
- Use slang in speech
Try to ensure the constant use of all words you want to remember in conversation or writing. You can write small stories or just make sentences with the learned expression, and then retell them. And yet slang is an attribute of oral speech, so it is better to find an interlocutor with whom you can fix knowledge.
- Install special apps on your tablet or smartphone
Gadgets can help you learn slang expressions no matter where you are: at home, on the road, at work, abroad. Download special applications and study at least 10-15 minutes a day.
- Subscribe to useful newsletters
On englishclub.com, you can subscribe to useful newsletters "Word of the Day", "Idiom of the Day", "Phrasal Verb of the Day", "Slang of the Day". Take this opportunity: every day you will be sent one informative letter. It is convenient and economical in time.
So, we hope that with the help of this article, you have decided whether you should learn English slang and which of its species should be chosen. However, in the end, we want to warn you against excessive use of slang: in the eyes of native speakers, a foreigner who uses it too often will seem more uncultured than "advanced". Learn according to your needs and strike everyone with the right beautiful speech. Good luck!