No matter where your college is located, in your hometown or across the country, your attitude to your dearest ones will become completely different. You will get more mature. Your conspiracy may rise to a degree when it will be hard for you to decide what you have and don't have to tell your parents about your life. Of course, mother is the best adviser they say, but there a couple of things she better shouldn't be aware of if you want your relationship with parents to stand through years. Check some common advices on what you can and can't tell your parents while being a college student:
- Your sleepless nights. You can mention that you sometimes go out with your friends and attend some college parties or that you can be up the whole night studying, but spare them of the details. Better don't tell them that you didn't go to bed till 2 a.m. because you were watching some videos instead of preparing for the morning classes. All the unnecessary details will only bring additional questions and can doubt your parent's trust in you. Leave all the interesting information to be discussed with friends;
- Unimportant people. You are going to get to know hundreds of new people in college but only the tiniest part of them will remain in your life for a long period. Somehow, your every relationship (particularly love ones) will look more serious in your parent's eyes than in yours. Don't give your mum additional reasons to be worried and nervous, tell your parents only about people who are important to you.
- Learnt experiences. At different points of your college life, your will come to understand your parents were right about a lot of things. You will see and realize that doing all the small tips that were shown you hundreds of times in the childhood now can greatly help you to make your life much easier. It might be difficult but you do have to learn to tell your parents about the life experiences you have learnt and that you are thankful to them for teaching you those experiences. They will surely be very delighted to hear it;
- The hard moments. No, it won't make you weak and incapable in their eyes. Calling your parents when you have a bad moment will make them feel needed. They will see that their help and advice still matter to you;
- Your feelings. Well, you should have seen this one being present in this list. College time can be nerve-wreaking and hectic but you should find the nerve to tell the people who raised you a couple of warm words. Because there will be fewer possibilities for you to visit and call them in future as you will always be too busy for doing this. Tell your 'I love you' any opportunity you have, while you still have this opportunity!