Many people think that it is possible to truly study English only abroad. In their opinion, it requires immersion in the tongue environment, communicating directly with native speakers, studying their culture and mentality. Is it possible to "plunge" into English without going abroad? You can, and we will tell you how.
Every student dreams of applying knowledge in practice: walking around London, discussing the ups and downs of the dollar with Americans and studying the flora and fauna in Australia. It is fun and useful for your English, but time-consuming and not always affordable. It is very difficult to move to permanent residence, and few can afford a trip to a tongue school abroad. However, will the 1-2-month long training give you substantial benefits? It is doubtful. Therefore, we want to tell you about the weighty reasons why the tongue can be effectively studied at home. Look, how many opportunities for learning you have, and be sure to use them.
1. Psychological Comfort
Moving or even travelling is not always easy. First, you will need to acclimatize. Secondly, you have to study the rules of behaviour in society and new laws for you. Thirdly, it will be necessary to get used to the constant sounding of foreign speech. The latter factor, although it is useful, can become a difficult test, especially if there is not a friend speaking your native tongue nearby. You will need to get used to the fact that the "break" from English will not work. At home, you can work without such tension, and for some people, psychological comfort is even more important than a good teacher or tongue environment.
2. Availability of an Effective Methodology Within the Country
Still some 20-30 years ago we could complain that it is impossible to learn English. At schools, universities, courses, we were taught basically to read and translate texts, and we were also loaded with grammatical constructions not used anywhere except English textbooks for foreign students.
Today, almost all courses and schools use the communicative method of teaching. You start to speak from the first lesson, and instead of theoretical knowledge you get practical one: you learn to read, write, listen and speak. This approach allows you to immerse yourself in the tongue environment in each lesson and to learn productively, preventing the appearance of a language barrier.
3. A Native Speaker in Your Home
Today it is not a problem to find such a teacher in courses in many large cities. And for those who value their own time and money, online classes will do. You can study anywhere and with anyone. Your teacher can live in London or New York, tell you about his or her country and culture, features of mentality and local news. In this case, it is you who choose a teacher. It is worth noting that such individual classes within the country will cost much less than group studying abroad. And in terms of effectiveness, personal lessons outperform group classes.
4. Fascinating Internet Resources
You do not need to go somewhere to gain access to various websites. The Internet has long erased the borders between states and has become one of the best assistants in the study of tongues. How the Internet can replace your study abroad:
- Do you want to understand what native speakers say? With this, you will be helped by podcasts, videos, movies and serials, with which the Internet is not just full, but even overfilled. Even if you cannot boast of perfect hearing, daily lessons of 10-20 minutes a day will help you. And all this – completely free of charge, sitting on the couch with a cup of coffee. No psychological pressure and urgent need to do something – all at your chosen pace.
- Do you want to learn how to read in English? You definitely should not go abroad for this. You can find books in English on the Internet and in any bookstore. Moreover, you can choose a book adapted for your level, while abroad, most likely, you would have to work hard reading literature in the original, which is not easy. And if you want to read books, magazines and newspapers in the original, you can do it at home.
- Would you like to learn how to write personal and business letters in English? We recommend visiting blogs and forums for learning. There you can talk with experienced teachers and people who study English. Try to correspond in the tongue you are studying – so you will practice writing in an informal style. Do you need to write a business letter? With this, you will be helped by articles in blogs of English teachers, everything is explained simply and in detail, with examples and useful templates.
- And how to speak? There are websites where you can find an interlocutor for the development of conversation skills for free. Of course, such conversations will not replace lessons with a teacher, but they will become a wonderful conversational practice and help get rid of the language barrier. To some extent, this is even better since you are less embarrassed, behave more liberated, you can joke and tell things that you would not have voiced in a more formal setting. Thus, communication freedom develops, which is difficult to achieve by standardized methods since there is no definite algorithm.
5. Clubs of Like-Minded People
Read local forums: in almost every city, there are English lovers who arrange meetings. In such clubs, organizers inform the topic of the future conversation in advance, so you can prepare well for the meeting: learn necessary words, prepare questions for other participants, and so on. Sometimes native speakers come to such meetings. We recommend not to miss the opportunity to meet a foreigner in your country.
6. English in Your Gadget
Another reason to learn at home – the presence of hundreds of effective and interesting applications for learning. Almost any of them can be downloaded to the smartphone for free and be used even without having access to the Internet. Millions of people successfully use such things as additional materials for independent studies. Learning takes only 10-15 minutes a day and allows you to keep your knowledge in good trim.
7. Your Own Path
Although this reason is at the end of our list, it is quite significant: you decide what methods to use, choosing from a variety of techniques. If you go abroad, some of the effective techniques will not be available to you. For example, full-time studies with teachers who know your native tongue. In addition, if you are learning in special courses abroad, you will have to follow a specific studying program that is the same for all students. And classes will be intense and will require a large expenditure of moral and physical strength.
8. It Is Not a Guarantee of Success
Some people believe that it is only necessary to go abroad and knowledge will come by itself. Unfortunately, it is not true. The study abroad takes place approximately in the same way as at home, with the only difference that you listen less to your native speech. There cannot be any guarantee of success, because everything depends on you.
Strong work will bear fruit regardless of what country you are in.
As you can see, we found 8 good reasons. Millions of people study the tongue in their home countries and this leads them to the desired goal. To paraphrase a well-known aphorism, one can say: who wants to learn is looking for opportunities, who does not want is looking for excuses. Find your way and then you will reach the desired goal!