The soul is restless! Feelings require a way out! For creative people, this is a happy moment. True poets easily select the right words and rhymes to express their inner state. The lines are poured onto paper. People who are not tempted in versification succeed in it with big difficulties. The words do not come to mind, feelings are soon lost, and the result of labor sometimes seems ridiculous.
Is it possible to develop your poetic gift and how to do it, are there the rules of versification or should one "write under the dictation of heart"? I have good news for you! It does not matter at what level you are at the moment. Writing poetry is a skill that can and should be developed. To achieve mastery or not is your choice. Have you already decided on it? Then, let us go!
Where the Poem Is Born
Many of the poets that only begin their way in the world of poetry are inclined to think that there is only inspiration. Muse and pen are the only things they recognize, refusing to reread their works and make amendments. They are convinced that poems should pour from their souls like a stream of light. They breathe with poetry, live with it, and think only about it. However, later, most of them can discover interesting thing if he or she re-read their small and big rhymed compositions. In the course of time, young poets begin to understand that they still have to work very long and hard on their poetic talent.
The art of honing a word is not only necessary but also extremely interesting. How to choose what you need from a wide range of various words? How to bring one line to perfection, so that it remained in the soul and attracted? How to convey your feelings and reach even the deafest reader? In fact, with these simple questions, our long journey into literature begins.
Rhythm and Rhyme
What do you need to know in order to write better? First of all, let us remember what we know about the rhythm of the verse. By the poetic meter, the rules of alternation of unstressed and stressed syllables in a string are understood. Poetic meters are divided into disyllabic (trochee and iamb) and trisyllabic (dactyl, amphibrach, and anapest). These are the rhythms that distinguish verses from prose. We will not consider this point in detail. On the Internet, you can find a description of each poetic size with examples.
For sure, the stage of studying rhythms can seem boring and complicated. But the main thing is to learn how to feel and distinguish them. You do not have to spend hours thinking about what type of words suits the chosen size. Once you work out the skill, everything will go much easier.
And do you need it at all? Many people happily compose the poems without the knowledge of theory. It is up to you. Remember that by mastering the rhythm, you say goodbye to awkward verses.
Another one secret is the knowledge and application of various artistic devices: Metaphor, metonymy, hyperbole, allegory, comparison. This is just a small list of visual techniques that allow you to make poems less platitude.
A powerful incentive for you is the daily reading of poetry. This is a very important stage! Without it, do not expect to write something worthwhile. It is possible that Pushkin would not be able to become a genius poet if he did not read very much. You will feel it personally, how after reading your favorite poet you will begin to speak in verse. Try to alternate the classics with the works of modern authors. Acquaintance with different styles and forms will improve the quality of your poems and make them less homogeneous.
It is natural to write about things which you care about. Poems, "written by the brain," without a soul, cannot draw anyone's attention. Even for you, they will not be of any value. Make your feelings the main dominant in your creative work. Thoughts directed by a live creature will become more precise, words – brighter. Ask yourself "what exactly am I feeling at the moment?"
The development of imagination, as well as creative and associative thinking, is a necessary skill that will allow you to create unexpected and catchy images. At someone, it is well developed. But if you feel that here is your weak point, start training it. This greatly affects the level of your poems.
- 1. Improve overall literacy. Your poems will cause laughter if they contain violations of the subject-predicate agreement, misuse of a dangling participle, and other similar mistakes. It is often impossible to correct them in poems.
- 2. Rhymes should be accurate. In good rhyme, there is a stressed vowel as well as the consonants following it. If at first, you find it difficult to invent, refer to the electronic rhymes dictionaries.
- 3. Expand your vocabulary. It is simple: Read-read-read! Books are not only a storehouse of intellectual knowledge but also a source of words for your word-stock. The enhancement of vocabulary is the path to freedom! It will be also useful to refer to the dictionaries of synonyms.
- 4. Write as often as possible. Your skill level directly depends on how often you practice. Write 100 verses, and several of them, believe me, will be terrific. Remember the words of Hemingway, "I am writing one page of the masterpiece on ninety-one pages of garbage, and then my goal is to throw the garbage into the trash can."
- 5. Write the addresses. The question arises: What should I write about? Well, did you know that letters are a whole genre of literary works? All great poets-classics wrote poetic addresses. You always have something to say to your friends, so why not to do it in the form of a poem? They will be pleased, believe me. As soon as you begin to apply these recommendations, your mastery of versification will increase dramatically. You will save time and will no longer fall into a creative stupor. I wish you success!